Tuesday, June 08, 2004

First Entry

I'm going to start out just listing my bicycling progress.

Saturday, May 29, 2004 - Bought the bike. Cheap Mongoose DXR-AL mountain bike. I remember when Mongoose was top of the line. When did they start selling them at Walmart? Aired up the tires at my sisters, rode to the end of the street and back, about three blocks. Mostly uphill on the way back, legs burned quite a bit. This will be a workout. Little did I know...

Monday, May 31, 2004 - Memorial Day, nothing much to do, so I figured I'd take the bike out for a ride. It was about lunch time, and I live a few minutes from one of my favorite meat and threes, so off I went. Now, I live on top of a big hill. Almost a ridge, but not high enough, but certainly long. And where I was going was downhill, almost all the way, about 2 miles. When I got there, I was a bit winded from going up the small hill to the parking lot, but ok. They were closed, so on down the road another quarter mile to the McDonalds. I get a grilled chicken sandwich and a large water, because I had the feeling a heavy meal wouldn't be too good, and I did realize that going home would be uphill. Yeah, understatement of the century. Now the first half of the ride back wasn't so bad, but I was blowing pretty good when I turned off the main drag to the street heading home. Here's where things got interesting. I've never really noticed the gradual upwards slope leading to the steep part of the hill. This is only about a mile, maybe a little less. But after half of it, I was in agony. Couldn't stay on, and I was veering enough I was afraid I'd veer into a car, so I got off the bike and walked. I walked about a block, and started getting some mobility in my legs, and so I got back on and rode the rest of the gentle sloped part. Which brings me to the hill. The hill'o'doom. Now, the bike route has you taking the left fork in the road and going to the far end of the hill, then back by my house, but the right fork of the road goes straight to my house, bypassing the loop. Its steeper, and narrower, hence the bike route going the other way, but I wasn't going to ride. No way. So up I went. Now it was getting hard to even walk. I saw two people I knew drive by, but they didn't recognize me (I mean, me, on a bike, come on!). Anyway, I made it to the top, and rode the last 100 ft to the house, more because my legs wouldn't move and it was mostly a slight downhill grade I could coast. That led me to my first top ten rules.

1. I am not capable of riding up hills. No, not even the little ones, unless there is a big one I can go down first and coast over it.
2. Just because it is a 3 minute car trip doesn't mean it isn't A Long Way.
3. Walking is not embarrassing. Walking is your friend.
4. Helmets make me look like a fat Tron figure.
5. You can not stand up and pedal in the same gear you were in when sitting down. You will break your leg if you try.
6. 1st ring 1st gear is absolutely useless on the street. Perhaps it has use climbing the side of a building, I don't know and don't care to find out.
7. 1st ring 2nd gear is also useless. I believe it was made for climbing church steeples.
8. Bluegrass is good riding music.
9. I need an iPod.
10. Stretch. Often. Just Sayin™

Wednesday, June 2, 2004 - After the debacle of the hill'o'doom, I decided I'd start taking the bike to work and ride on the relatively flat parking lot that circles my building. Driving around it in the truck, the building is right at .25 miles around, so every 4 laps is about a mile. I did 10 laps, and was very winded by the 4th. When I got off the bike, my legs were jello. Took about ten minutes of stretching to get to where I could walk without shuffling my feet.

Friday, June 4, 2004 - I decided that I'd try to keep doing a little more each time I ride, hoping to finally get up to some decent flat mileage before doing too many more hills. So this time I went half a mile further, 12 laps. If I try to take things too fast, I'll either hurt myself or get discouraged. A coworker pointed out one of the reasons my legs hurt. My bike is too short. I'm not getting full extension on my legs, which is what is making the tops of my thighs hurt. I started hanging my legs down to stretch when I coast down the slight grade in the front of the building, which helps a bit.

Sunday, June 6, 2004 - Since I don't work on Sunday, and didn't want to drive anywhere, I figured I'd start from home. As I said, living at the top of a big hill doesn't help, but the top is big, so I tried to stay on top as much as possible. The apartment building down the road is on the highest point of the hill, and a road goes around it, so I went down that road and back up to my road and back. The problem is, it goes down at first, then up and down and the end is all back up. Plus, I had trouble shifting down as I started up the steepest hill, so I lost all momentum. It was only about 1.5 miles, but hurt as much as anything so far, and took just about as long. I raised the seat some, which helped. I might be able to get a little more out of it.

Tuesday, June 8, 2004 - 16 laps, or ~4 miles. It was a bit easier today, I didn't really start getting winded until about the 8th lap. I've adjusted the seat post as high as I dare take it. I'd be afraid to sit on it any higher. It still isn't quite enough. Still stretching my legs on the grade in the front of the building. Standing up on the smaller grade on the side of the building also helps.

11 Comments:

At 10:50 PM, Blogger felix said...

Let me try to recap: You rode two miles plus into Red Bank, then coming back you elected to ride up from White Oak by the very steep hill that comes out by City High? (yeah, some other trendy name, but that is what it is.)

And you are still alive. And riding every day.

You are doing very well, O Mighty DaWorm.

 
At 11:11 PM, Blogger DaWorm666 said...

Hey, I live on top of that thing. Not much choice but go back up.

 
At 1:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd be happy to come by and help you adjust your bike to the best possible fit for you. It's possible you got a frame that's too small for you...but there's a good chance it can be adjusted well enough to work. Trust me..I have a lot of experience setting bikes up...and Wanda gave me a look of utter disdain when she saw how high I raised her seat...but after actually riding, she said that she felt a big positive difference. Just lemme know...

Stray-to the izzo...

 
At 4:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ride Ride Ride, Wormsley Ride!


Actually, you've just proven improvement. Let Stray adjust your bike as best it can be done and you'll probably do even better.

Cat

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger DaWorm666 said...

Well, there is only about an inch of post left, so I don't think I can take the seat any higher that way. It's possible I can raise the seat on the post a bit, but the post is all the way up in the frame.

 
At 3:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I had to prep for the Academy, running was to me what biking is to you at the moment. I started running in quarter mile increments--and Day One, a quarter mile might as well have been a Million--but within two months, I was knocking out two miles unstopped, and by end of academy 5 miles without break. You're just getting your body used to something we Lower Forebrow folks aren't used to--ballbusting labor.

Using the correct forward and rear gears and seat-height are series helpers, but persistence...daily or at LEAST every-other-daily (which is what I did) methods...are what will Get you there. And God Slay My Poisoned Crotch, you WILL feel better. Fuck doing it for 'health benefits' or longevity...you're quality time will simply have more Quality. Glad to hear you're doing it, man. And Doi it you Can.

All...Night...Long.

 
At 8:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, you and I are well matched for a ride. We need to do that.

Does your ass still hurt after you ride a good bit? :)

~Footy

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger Larry Burton said...

Your butt's also hurting after a ride? I think everyone needs to replace the seat that came on their bike with one more suited for their own anatomy. If things start going to sleep while you are riding that should never go to sleep it's especially time to pick up a new seat.

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger DaWorm666 said...

Not really hurting. There is a bit of discomfort, but I think most of that is sweat and friction in places that aren't used to that. I also stand up and coast for about 100 ft a lap, and that helps a lot.

 
At 9:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You need some padded-ass bike shorts to wear under whatever shorts you wear when you ride. Seriously.

It helps... I know.

Sl!

 
At 3:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I`ve stumbled across your site. Nice!

http://pizdec.notlong.com/
canada car insurance online quote

 

Post a Comment

<< Home