Thursday, June 10, 2004

A Little Bit More

Well, keeping with my "every other day" approach, today was the day to ride. I really didn't feel like doing it. I stayed out a little later than planned last night, and didn't sleep well, so I was tired before I even started. Still, I'd loaded the damned thing, might as well ride. I used the very last available bit of seat post to get another inch on the seat. Still not enough, and I was afraid one good bump and I'd break the sucker off, but hey, it was a cheap bike and as long as I didn't impale my colon, I could live with it.

Somewhere about the second lap, I was already getting a bit winded. "Uh oh," I thought, but I kept at it. Fortunately, that leveled off and things were going pretty smoothly. I was shooting for 18 laps (~4.5 miles) to try to go a little farther than Tuesday. At lap 10, I grabbed a plastic cup of water I'd left on the tailgate (I don't have a water bottle yet) and that helped a bit, but slowing down to get it messed up my rhythm. At lap 14, I knew I could make 18, so I decided to try for 20. Those last two were tough, but I probably could have gotten a few more. I decided not to push my luck. So, today I rode roughly 5 miles. Maybe it won't be July after all before I can tackle the levee. Or maybe I'll hit a brick wall. We'll see.

3 Comments:

At 1:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its all about the rhythm.


yeah.

In fact, if you can do 5 miles, you can do 10.

Cat

 
At 11:32 PM, Blogger Larry Burton said...

Worm, take that bike down to Chickamagua Battlefield and follow the tour route. You'll hit a hill or two but nothing you shouldn't be able to handle. The neat thing about riding there is that if you get too tired you can usually find something interesting where you stop to keep from feeling like you've really wasted that time.

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger Dan Lyke said...

If you have a few extra bucks, skip the water bottle and go straight for a "Camelbak". I thought they were just yuppie toys 'til my girlfriend got one and talked me into getting one of my own. I've never been that bad at exercising, but now I stay seriously hydrated rather than just sipping to keep me going, and it does wonders for my ability to keep a reasonable pace for a long time.

And it helps in the "when you think you're hungry you're really thirsty" scheme of replacing water with snacks, if that belly is full of H20 it won't be craving empty calories.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home