Monday, May 02, 2005

Fortyfive Minutes With The Brain In Neutral

First off, I forgot to post last Monday. NottaAngel and I went riding. She did very good, considering it was her first ride in years. Plus it was nice to have some company. Too many of the people I could ride with ride faster than I can, or at times I can't meet them.

Second, today will likely be my last day with the borrowed mountain bike. The owner needs it back, so that he and his girlfriend can ride together. That's cool, it was fun while it lasted. When my tax return comes in, I'll have the folding cash to go get my road bike. Looks like I may need to put in on credit beforehand, as the darned check seems to be taking forever.

Finally, the title... I rode a ten mile loop today, on the gravels at the levee and around Camp Jordan. I pushed it, and made the loop in 45 minutes on the dot, counting four stops to cross streets. I needed it. I needed my brain to shut up for a while. Of course, the endorphin buzz has worn off now, and all that is back, but I needed it to be gone a while. Many of you that read this know what I have coming up on Wednesday, and that is a part of it. There was also this past weekend, which really bothered me on a lot of levels. It involved doing something I've done far too much of in the past, and something I have done far to little of, and I'll leave it at that. But I've been in a real funk the last two days, much worse than normal (and I've never been known to be a bright and shiny dispositioned person). All of which is why I may not wait on that tax check. I'm about to have a lot of time on my hands in the evenings and especially the weekends. I only know three ways to fill it, and two of them are decidedly unhealthy, physically and otherwise. It will help with what I've done too much of, at any rate, I know that. Fortunately, these moods rarely last more than a few weeks at most, usually a few days. I'm hoping this one is the same. I certainly don't care for how things are right now.

8 Comments:

At 2:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just to remind you, Thursdays at 6:30, Mars parking lot, 7 mile loop.

Cat

 
At 4:03 PM, Blogger Dan Lyke said...

Well? It's been two weeks, where's the report of the new bike?

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger DaWorm666 said...

I should be ordering it sometime this week. I've been very, very busy for the last few weeks, and will be very, very busy for the foreseeable (sp?) future, so I am not even sure when I'll have time to ride it. If you notice the subtle change to the profile, you'll see part of the reason why. :-)

 
At 5:33 PM, Blogger Dan Lyke said...

I just picked up a spotless (casting flash still on the tires) 1985 Univega touring bike for $20 at a garage sale this weekend. Yes, it's shifters on the down tube rather than brifters, and it's probably a few lbs heavier than a modern bike, but I put a new saddle on it and took it for a 25 mile spin this morning and... well...

It's the best damned $20 bike I've ever had. Since garage sale season is just starting, you might check there. We also picked up a slightly rusted but great components mountain bike for $15 that I just wanted to cannibalize the rack from, but I've tuned up and will give to a friend.

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger Larry Burton said...

Okay, I know you're distracted but an occassional "Hello World" would be nice.

 
At 10:51 PM, Blogger DaWorm666 said...

Hehe, true. But the blog was only for riding, and since I haven't ridden...

I know, I know. Sigh.

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger Dan Lyke said...

Yo, Worm, girlfriend or not, we want updates!

Especially now that I'm road biking with a workout plan...

 
At 4:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, so you rode last week - you can write about that!

daWife

 

Post a Comment

<< Home