Wednesday, July 07, 2004

More distance...

(note, this is posted after midnight, so the date really is not the day of the ride)

Went to the levee again today. I was supposed to have company, a good friend from work, but the weather looked bad and he decided not to go. I decided to risk it. It had rained earlier (what day in the last two weeks has in not rained!) but had stopped. Just as I started, a light sprinkle came up, and there were ominous dark clouds on the horizon. It pretty much sprinkled the entire ride, only devoloping into a true light rain for about 5 minutes. I really didn't get any wetter than I would sweating in the sun, and rain is much more pleasant than sweat. After the striped back episode, I decided not to go into Camp Jordan. Instead, I hung a right at I-75 and went into Eastgate. According to my friend who didn't make it, twice around Eastgate is roughly the same as once around Camp Jordan, but without the puddles. Traffic is more of an issue, though, as some of the cars go way too fast through there. I went three times around, and it looked like it was about to rain harder, so I came back. I rode slow the whole time (mostly about 10.5 MPH) so I still had quite a bit of gas left, but I did set a new personal distance mark of 12.75 miles. I think I could have made 15 or maybe 20 had I the time, but I won't know until I try. I got back to the truck just in time for the rain to start in earnest, so I am glad I stopped.

I still need to try the greenway by the dam. I'm told its hilly, but short, at under 5 miles round trip. I have to quit avoiding the hills, really I do. Perhaps it is more of a mental block than anything. Or my basic laziness showing through. At any rate, I'm looking forward to a chance to try out a different bike a friend has promised to loan me. This is an expensive street bike that he no longer rides, and he's taller than me so I'm sure it will fit better than my POS bike. I'll have to find paved paths to ride, or ride roads. I have trouble looking behind me for cars (can't see around my fat ass) and the music is probably a bad idea on the street as cars are quieter than I can hear over it. Problem is I don't know where there are paved paths, and places like the battlefield are way out of the way for after work. Probably can't be helped, but the more trouble it is to get too, the less likely I am to go. (See my abysmal record for weekend rides of late for an example, holidays notwithstanding).

Oh, found another bit of cheepnis (FZ reference there) with this bike. The kickstand won't stay up on a rough downhill. Went down the wet steps again and it popped down and drug the ground. Damned POS... At least it didn't cost much. Sigh.

3 Comments:

At 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Arright buddy, I am now determined. I won't be in town THIS weekend, but next weekend I'm showing up on your doorstep early Saturday morning, loading your lazy ass up with the loaner street bike, and dragging your sorry carcass to the Battlefield. If you can make 12+ miles, you can make the intermediate loop. You may be going average of 10mph, but that's NOT BAD for a beginner by ANY stretch.

no arguements. This will be done. Capice?

Cat

 
At 9:33 PM, Blogger DaWorm666 said...

I may or may not have the loaner by then, but go ahead. Just call or something first, you may not like it if I'm not up yet. My morning face isn't so hot (of course that could be said of my evening face as well!).

 
At 9:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

car insurance policy
cheap car insurance for young driver
car insurance ny
in car insurance
classic car insurance
car insurance n
progressive car insurance
auto insurance quote
compare car insurance rate
affordable car insurance
auto insurance company
fresno car insurance
car insurance estimate
cheap car insurance for young driver
new york car insurance
aa car insurance
low car insurance
car insurance dallas
car insurance cost
fresno car insurance
affordable car insurance
free online car insurance quote
direct line car insurance
allstate car insurance
affordable car insurance
car insurance comparison
new york car insurance
car insurance for mexico
car insurance rats
usaa car insurance

http://cheap-car-insurance.quickfreehost.com

Random Keyword: :)
churchill car insurance

 

Post a Comment

<< Home