Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Let Me Tell You About Standifer Gap Road...

Fuck Standifer Gap Road.

There, I feel better now. Started to repeat Monday's ride, but decided to hang a right at Bonny Oaks instead of a left. I slogged over the hill, coasted like a bat out of hell down the other side (30+ on knobbies leaves a little something to be desired), then hung another right on Hickory Valley. That was ok, hard, but ok. So I get to Standifer Gap Road and contemplate turning there, or going on to Shallowford and coming back that way. I figured Shallowford would be too much traffic. Passing Shallowford by would take me to Lee Highway, even more traffic. So I turn onto Standifer Gap. Thing is, there is this hill there I'd forgotten about. Bigger than the one I live on. Narrow road. Halfway up, or thereabouts, it's all over. Even coming out of the saddle, it is more than I can take. So I walk the rest of the way up.

Under seven mile trip, and I'm shot. Noah Reed (or Reade, or however it is spelled) is quite enough for right now. I don't need to break myself in two just yet. I'll let others, like the guy at work riding 100 miles with 11,000 ft of elevation soon, handle that kind of climb for now. I'm just not ready yet.

2 Comments:

At 8:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps not, but I found a ride against Cancer we're doing that you'd be fine at.

Its the weekend before the MS150, so I'll not be doing the Century ride, though I might do a metric. Several of my teammates are coming out to it with their kids for the shorter ride offered. There's the "fun ride" from Cohutta to Red Clay and back, a 50 mile loop and a 100 mile loop. Registration is $25, you get a t-shirt and a picnic.

Maybe your co-worker that used to work in my office would come join us there?

Cat

 
At 11:46 PM, Blogger DaWorm666 said...

Is it the weekend of the 28th? If so, I have a birthday party to attend. If not, send me some details. I can ask both of my coworkers if they will be there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home