Saturday, August 21, 2004

A Two-fer!

First of all, sorry for not posting about my ride on Wednesday. I know everyone was just dying to hear about it! Can you forgive me?

Anyway, Wednesday's ride was a bit of a combination. I started out like I have been lately going up Shallowford to Noah Reid. But when I came back to Shallowford from Cromwell, instead of heading back, I turned right and went to the levee, and rode that and one loop of Camp Jordan, then came back and finished up with Shepherd. So I started a little hilly, then a lot of flat, then a few more small hills. A bit over 22 miles.

This morning, I got up at the ungodly hour of 6:15 am. Got dressed, checked my tires, loaded up my gear and headed out to meet some of the Martians On Wheels and friends to go to Cohutta Ga. for the ride there. This ride is a cancer benefit that they've been holding for some time. The organizers were super nice, and the fire department and others in the community did a great job keeping everything running smoothly.

There were three classes, a 5 mile fun run, a 50km (31 miles) ride and a 100km (62 miles) ride. Considering that Wednesday's 22 was about the most I'd ridden, I chose the 50km route. If my Cateye is anything close to accurate, it was more like 35 miles, and the difference was telling. Not because of the distance, but because of what those last 3 or 4 miles contained (as well as a couple before them). The ride was advertised as being through the "rolling hills" of north Georgia and southern Tennessee. And for the first 30 or so, it pretty much was. There were a few hills, a couple a little tough for me, but nothing too bad. There were SAG stops at about 11 miles and about 23 miles, and that offered a chance to reload on water or gatoraid, narf a banana (not me, they upset my stomach, even though I love them), and rest a bit.

That last 5 or 6 miles though, things weren't quite so "rolling" any more. The hills turned into long slopes of between 1/4 and 3/4 mile, followed by a downhill section that, due to being taken so much faster, seemed like no more than a few inches (well, to me anyway). There were about 6 of these. One must have been the high point of the area, as there was a large water tank there, and those are usually placed as high up as possible. It seemed every time I'd top one, I'd start down the other side only to come around a turn and see another rising up into the distance. I cussed a lot. A lot. I had to stop on the longest one about 2/3rds of the way up (it was I think the third one). I rested for about 4 minutes, then climbed back on and got over it. Another one that length and I probably would have had to stop again, and who know if I'd have started back. As it was, I was climbing them at about 4.5 mph in a very low gear. I wasn't the only one. While I was passed by many, I did pass two people, one lady who seemed to be doing fine but was taking it nice and slow even on the rare flat areas, and an older gentleman who was also on a mountain bike and doing the same speed as me on the climbs (I followed him up three of them). I rode along side him for a few minutes at the top of one hill and we chatted some, but left him behind in another relatively flat area. At that point, I was thinking we were near the end, and wanted to get it over with quickly. Of course, it wasn't even close.

Of course, you probably think this sounds like so much whining, and you would be right. It is whining, but thats not gonna stop me. I was glad to just be able to finish, true enough. And I don't guess you can always expect things to be easy. Just my nature, I always have to gripe about something! ;)

7 Comments:

At 7:54 AM, Blogger felix said...

Considering you rode half again as far as your previous max, I think you are lucky to be ambulatory at all. My bike-riding days are far in the past, and they never were as extensive in distance as your present efforts. But my muscles remember. Noodle legs followed by racking pain later. You are persevering in a difficult task. Good on you!

 
At 11:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I said it then and I'll say it again. You rock.

Its the test of my abilities I love. Its the great people that I get to meet that keeps me coming back. Glad you came and got a taste of it.

cat

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger Dan Lyke said...

Hey, just for giggles go back and re-read something from June. Say, this note about doing 8 miles and thinking about graduating to hills.

Now look at yourself saying "this sounds like so much whining" when you're talking about 31 freakin' hilly miles. Dude! That's progress!

 
At 12:25 AM, Blogger DaWorm666 said...

Well, that is why I put this blog up in the first place. Not as a place to brag, I don't have any call for that. But to remind myself of where I've been and where I should be going. I know I whine. I used to be the second biggest whiner among all my friends (I don't know where I stand now, most of those friends have moved on). What were once triumphs now seem trivial. What were once obstacles are now non-entities. But there is still a long way to go, as evidenced by what others will be doing next weekend that I couldn't think of doing now. Yeah, I doubt any of them were ready to ride the MS-150 after four months, either, but they can and will next weekend. They probably had somewhat different motivations, because we are all different people. But I need to be ridiculed on occasion, if not by others, then by myself. Not because I am some kind of masochist, but because I am not easily motivated by anything other than someone telling me I can't do something. Am I proud I finished that ride? Hell yes I am proud. But at the same time, I would much rather been able to finish the full 100k. I thought about it when I reached the split. I knew if I tried it, there were three possible outcomes. One, I'd have to be hauled in on a truck. Two, I'd finish two hours after everyone else, who'd worry about where I was. Three, I'd get by ok. Two of those were far more likely than the last, so I went the short ride, but it galled me to have to do so. Dan, it may have been at a BBS breakfast so many years ago since you've seen me. You probably remember then what an arrogant SOB I can be, but only when I know what I am talking about (well, when I think I do, anyway). I know enough to know there are few things I can be the best at, but what I try to do I at least want to be competent at. And I am not there yet, and won't be for quite a while. You'll know when I think I am, because that's when this blog will cease to be updated. There will be no need for it then. Except, I think, at this I'll never be that confident. I'm 37 years old now, and while I still think of myself as 17, my body doesn't agree with me much anymore. Damn, it actually hurts to say I'm 37. How did I ever get so old? This is a fight, and the encouragement helps, but I can't take too much pride in it. I can't allow myself to. What my body can't do is humbling. We all know I could use a bit of that. I'm getting it, in spades. I wonder if it will affect my mind as well?

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger Dan Lyke said...

I think I probably last saw you at the Chattanooga On-line offices when it was in the Dr's Building, but that's been about a decade.

(Damn. Where does it go?)

Two notes:

1. On age: if you get in shape you've got at least that again in useful years, and I met a guy in his 60s yesterday hauling a fully loaded pack up Mount Tam 'cause he's training for the Tenaya Lake over Cloud's Rest and Half Dome then back down to Yosemite Valley hike as a one-day in two weeks. I'm looking at doing that same hike about a month out and I'm expecting to be literally barely able to walk by the time we hit the valley.

2. On distance: on Saturday I rode about 20 miles down to the Marin Headlands to hike with my buddies, and another 20 back, upright on a mountain bike with big knobbies. Now I can use as an excuse that I folded my small chainring into origami half the way there (and bent my other two enough that shifting was tough), but I got back and... well... when I rode yesterday I could feel it. While I'm fairly sure that I'd have no problems at all pulling a metric century on that aforementioned gear (which sounds like what you're riding), I think I'd be sore. And I'm at 14% body fat; not exactly super-athlete, but at the high end of "fit".

So, yeah, aim high, but don't forget how much you've climbed to get where you are.

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger DaWorm666 said...

My goodness, man! What a twisted piece of metal! And I'm with you on that derailleur. Maybe micro-hydraulics? (Somebody probably already tried that.)

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger Dan Lyke said...

Hey, there's an idea: Something active to keep the thing aligned. Rather than trying to stiffen the hanger bracket,put a hinge there and do something intelligent about moving it.

Oooh, good idea. Must ponder further.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home